Gum Disease Treatments in Chicago
Gum disease has consequences that affect your oral and overall well-being. If it is left untreated, tooth loss and other physical ailments may result. Healthy gums should provide a protective barrier between the harmful bacteria in your mouth and tooth roots and other vital organs.
Dr. Russell Cecala is a periodontist who has specialized training in the maintenance of healthy gums. For expert periodontal care in Chicago, contact PerioCare Periodontal Medicine and Dental Implant Surgery.
Causes of Gum Disease
Bacteria lingering in the mouth form into a sticky substance called plaque, that will eventually harden into tartar. When plaque and tartar grow under the gum line, people often experience gums that are red, swollen, and may bleed while brushing and flossing. This early stage of gum disease is called gingivitis, and it can be completely cured with a deep professional cleaning paired with consistent at home dental habits.
Tartar is calcified plaque that stubbornly adheres to teeth, causing gums to recede and form deep pockets. This stage of gum disease is called periodontitis, which means teeth are in jeopardy of loosening and falling out. With advanced gum disease, bacteria also have access to the blood stream and can circulate to vital organs throughout the body causing many health complications.
Various Treatments for Periodontal Health
Good daily oral health habits at home are essential for maintaining strong and lustrous smiles. Brushing and flossing, as well as bi-annual professional cleanings stop minor issues from worsening.
For those needing more intense care, Dr. Russell Cecala uses a variety of treatments to combat gum disease, such as:
• Tooth Scaling and Root Planing: Removes plaque and tartar from teeth and their roots, smoothing tooth surface so gums reattach and protect teeth.
• Laser Therapy: Accesses deep pockets in gum tissue and disinfects it to restore health.
• Gingival Surgeries: These can graft tissue to areas where gums have receded and reshape the gum line to restore health. Flap surgery is done to separate the gums from the teeth in order to clean out infection.
• Bone Grafting: To restore bone volume and prevent dry socket.
• Periodontal Medicine: Use of antibiotics to treat periodontal diseases that impact the systemic health of teeth and the entire anatomy. This includes using cultures to identify which medications are best for treating particular strains of infection.
• Gum Health for Patients Undergoing Chemotherapy: Vigilant attention to dentition and gums is necessary during chemotherapy, as it can rapidly cause oral health complications.
Gum health is foundational for smiles to radiate health and beauty. Knowing that your dentist is trained to treat complex periodontal issues that can jeopardize oral health provides patients with peace of mind and optimal oral health.
Contact Dr. Russell Cecala in Chicago
For expert and quality periodontal care, contact the dental office of PerioCare Peridontal Medicine and Dental Implant Surgery. Dr. Russell Cecala provides the dental care that makes heroic efforts to maintain and preserve teeth so your smile lasts a lifetime.